Best Practices for VMware and Storage
- The best flexibility comes from a combination of VMFS and NFS
- Use NetApp or EMC vCenter plug-ins to automate your storage vendor best practices
- Use Multiple NFS datastores and 10GbE ( 1GbE requires more complexity to address I/O scaling due to one data session per connection with NFSv3)
- Avoid RDMs, use VMFS pools or NFS pools
- Make the VMFS and NFS datastores big
- Use SIOC if you have vSphere 4.1 or later ( Even if you do not use shares, it will ensure no VM swamps the others)
- Create planned datasore designs rather than having big pools for larger IO use cases. Oracle, Exchange, SAP etc.