VMware vCenter Server has been split into 4 services: Single-Sign On, Inventory Service, vCenter Server and the vSphere Web Client. That makes the update process a little bit more more complex.
All vCenter Server Components have to be patched separately. The update process itself if strait forward and can usually been clicked through without answering much questions.
Recommended Upgrade Sequence for VMware vCenter:
- Update vCenter Single Sign On
- Update VMware vCenter Inventory Service
- Update VMware vCenter Server
- Update VMware vSphere Web Client
- Update VMware vSphere Update Manager
- Update ESXi Hosts
In this video we’ll perform an upgrade from VMware vCenter Server 5.1 to vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1
Thanks for watching…